Sitting by a fireplace with an enclosed glass screen and watching the flames can be relaxing and safe for both you and the person for whom you care. But fires and burns can occur, as well as carbon monoxide poisoning, when open fireplaces, wood stoves, and space heaters are used improperly. Then, too, a person in the late stages of dementia may tragically mistake kerosene or other liquid fuel for drinking water or soda, especially if it's been poured into a bottle.
The behaviors and skills of someone with dementia are constantly changing; what's safe one day may not be safe the next. At some point in the disease, you'll need to limit independent access to fireplaces and heaters. Depending on your system, you may need to consider alternative heating sources for your safety and theirs.