As the disease progresses, your care receiver may not be able to tell what's
safe to eat and drink, due to loss of judgment and memory. They may mistake
one item for another like orange-colored liquid soap for soda. So
it's vital to know when you need to remove or deny access.
Some caregivers have success placing select items out of view in the same room,
while others move materials to another room. And some put a lock on cabinet.
Just in case someone eats or drinks a harmful substance, post the national poison
control hotline in an easy-to-find location.
The American Association of Poison Control Centers advises to pay special attention
to liquids, as they're absorbed rapidly, and a large quantity can be swallowed
in a short period of time.